Discover the dangers of wearing the wrong cut or even leggings and how your health and productivity is affected.
How many pairs of leggings do you own? More importantly, how many times have you slipped on a pair to smooth out the lumps and bumps you don’t want anyone to know about.
We’ve all done it. Leggings are so comfortable and because they are close-fitting, you can wear them under just about anything.
When it comes to wearing overalls that’s designed for a man, well, that’s when leggings really help. Those pants are just not meant to accommodate all our curves, so when you bend over – eek! Too much is revealed about you.
We know it can get a bit heated with leggings under those male-designed pants, but guess what? It’s not just the heat that’s a problem. Professor Joshua Zeichner, a dermatologist we spoke to, says that wearing leggings all day under your work clothes can cause skin problems and infections. That’s because the material leggings are made from does not absorb moisture. So, if you sweat while wearing them, your skin stays damp all the time. Fungus and bacteria love damp spaces.
- Ring worm is a fungal infection (it’s not really a worm) that is itchy and scaly. It can appear anywhere on your legs or your groin. To get rid of it, you need to use an anti-fungal cream.
- There are two issues that can be made worse by wearing leggings – a vaginal yeast infection and a vaginal bacterial infection.
- A yeast infection happens when the balance of natural bacteria and yeast in your vagina get out of balance. The yeast cells multiply and cause irritation, itching and swelling. You will see a thick, creamy discharge.
- Bacterial vaginosis is also an imbalance of bacteria in your vagina and you usually need antibiotics to get rid of it. The discharge from your vagina will have a fishy smell. Don’t use soap when washing if you have a bacterial infection, because it can make the issue worse. Just use warm water. Wearing leggings won’t cause these two issues, but they can make them worse.
- There’s also the problem of your skin drying out and chafing (when your skin rubs against something all the time) – this can cause bacteria to grow in your hair follicles, which get infected and create sore bumps on your legs. Chafing can also make your skin crack where it is being rubbed, which can be very painful.
- If your leggings are very tight, they can reduce your circulation, which can cause varicose veins.
- If they are too tight around your stomach area, it can cause digestive problems and stomach pain.