Looking for a quick lunchtime snack that will give you enough energy to get you through the afternoon? A tin of pilchards in tomato sauce is filled with vitamins and minerals that are really good for you. This is what is in a tin: vitamin B12, omega 3, vitamin D, selenium, lycopene, iodine, phosphorus, niacin, biotin, riboflavin(B2) and calcium. You can opt for taking just a tin of pilchards to work (don’t forget the tin opener), or you can use this simple recipe and make fish cakes for you and your family – they’re great eaten warm or cold.
- 1 large tin pilchards in tomato sauce
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium eggs
- Chop the sweet potatoes and boil them.
- Chop the onion into small pieces.
- Beat the eggs and add in the onion and pilchards. Mix well.
- Once the sweet potatoes are boiled and soft, add them to the pilchard mix and add salt to taste.
- Using your hands, mix well and then create balls out of the pilchard and potato mix.
- Squash the balls a little bit so they look like patties. Dust them with flour.
- Heat up a pan and put ½ a centimetre of oil in it. Once hot, fry the patties for about five minutes on each side.