All our SiSi boots are manufactured with full grain leather uppers polyurethane soles. Polyurethane (PU) has a biodegradable polymer that breaks down over time damaging the sole. There a few main factors that contribute to this process: water, temperature, darkness and time.
In order to get the most out of your footwear and maximise the lifespan of your Sisi Boots, we recommend that wearers take note of the following:
- Be aware of the climate in which your footwear will be worn. Do not wear PU soled footwear in wet environments where gumboots would be more appropriate.
- Do not leave your footwear in dark, unventilated areas for prolonged periods of time as this will encourage hydrolysis.
- Ensure that your footwear is regularly cleaned by removing dirt and grime from both the soles and uppers. Each box of Sisi footwear comes standard with a cloth that is perfect for cleaning the uppers.
- Polish your boots regularly to protect the leather using a commercial shoe polish product. Do not use squeegee shoe polish with sponge ends.
- Never force-dry your footwear by leaving them in front of a fire or heater as a direct heat source has the ability to distort the upper and cause the leather to crack. Instead, remove the top sock from the boots, open up the tongue as far as it will go and jam crumpled newspaper into the footwear to absorb excess water overnight.
- Always undo the shoes laces before removing the footwear and avoid turning the footwear into slip-ons. The continuous application of pressure to the back of the boot may cause the upper to loosen from the sole.
- Never throw foot powder into your boots. When powder is applied to the inside of a shoe / boot it can mix with sweat and become a paste. This traps air flow, reducing the breathability of the leather, thereby increasing the temperature inside the boot.
These easy to follow tips will ensure your SiSi boots will live a long and healthy life and provide the safety and comfort you’ve come to trust.